Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Still Waters...

I will say this 1000 more times, but pictures just do not do these justice. It's almost like we're being guarded by great beasts all around.

The active volcano, Tungurahua. That is not a cloud on top of the volcano, but smoke...

This beauty, El Altar, is estimated to have been taller than Mount Everest before it caved in. It has twelve peaks and they are supposedly named after each of the apostles. It's all one mountain, though...


I wish I could come up with some cool Bible-sailor analogy, like: "Sailors always coveted still waters on the ocean, and this is why in the Psalms, King David writes: 'He leads me beside still waters' "... but I can't. Because I'm not a sailor, and never have been. Maybe what I just wrote is true! If so, praise God! And if not, praise God as well :-).

But anyway, still going with the theme of sailing on the "high seas" for that's my God-given purpose (the extreme, whether it be in the States or in the most remote village), the past few days have been "still waters", or peaceful, great times.

The past day, especially, has been wonderful! After writing yesterday, I threw down some lunch and then went on a "scavenger hunt" with John Mark downtown to make sure I could find some "essentials" on my own. I was not the biggest fan of the idea at first, but that's just my selfish side coming out (not wanting to do something that was necessary, thinking I could manage on my own = the ever popular selfish+pride killer combo). John Mark was great at not telling me anything and just being a quiet companion. I had the toughest time finding the store where I could get EVERYTHING on the list, "Akí", but eventually found it. It ended up being alright, although I don't know why I'll ever need "wrapping paper".

After that, we went to hang out with Paul again, and it was a blast! We played basketball, soccer, and a soccer-volleyball mixture (basically a juggling triangle with Paul's friend, Andrés). John Mark wasn't able to participate, due to his leg, but he was able to bless another woman by helping her with English. It was a wonderful time just playing around, joking in Spanish, and getting playfully "angry" at each other when one person messed up. After leaving Paul and Andrés, John Mark and I went to this "special" burger place near the park downtown. We ordered our food, and unfortunately I didn't communicate exactly what I wanted correctly, for instance when I asked for "no más mayonesa", he piled on the mayonnaise. So I finished most of it, but wasn't too happy (as he also put on other things when I asked for it pretty plain). Due to the burgers being only 90 cents, I ordered another one, and while he got this one correct, I dropped it halfway through my meal, and John Mark encouraged me not to use the 5 second rule for an Ecuadorian sidewalk. By the way, this burger had the same amount or less meat than a Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, and for all who have ever consumed one of these, you know how pathetic that is (no offense to John Mark, for he is really excited about these burgers). We then proceeded to go back to mi casa, talked with Catalina, the aunt of Sebastian who lives in the main house where I'm staying (please continue to pray for Diosalina, the grandmother, for she just had a pacemaker put in). The night was finished watching Ben-Hur, which SMOKED all of the other movies I have watched so far. That movie is so good... so many powerful scenes, action sequences, and memorable quotes. One of my favorites: "If those are my choices, then I am against you."

I woke up this morning and went to school. After reading a bit in la Palabra de Dios (the Word of God), I headed off to the bus to go to SMAC and was able to start "Mere Christianity" on the way. I'm really excited to get to see C.S. Lewis' perspective on Christianity and dive into this very book. This morning I had assumed that I was going to be helping out, or at least David would be in the room with me to aid if I needed it, but I was more or less "thrown into the fire", if you will. The first hour was spent helping to learn English idioms, such as "Kill two birds with one stone", "Head over heels", "Put two and two together", and "Monkey see, monkey do". I will admit that I butchered the explanation for "The pen is mightier than the sword." I don't even remember everything I said, but after talking to John Mark later, I decided that I didn't do the best job, so now there are 13 or so Ecuadorians who will never understand what that phrase really means thanks to me.

It was a lot of fun, though, and the most fun part was at the end when they taught me Spanish phrases that don't make sense in English. Also, I tried to copy down each of their names (scroll down for the list) and screwed up in the spelling department pretty good. I never won a Spanish spelling bee as a kid, and this lack of ability to spell in Spanish shone through today. They got a good laugh, though, and that's what counted. I feel like I'm building some relationships there, and I'm really excited to see what God will do with that in the near future. I'm actually kinda sad that I can't go Thursday and Friday to help, but I'm confident God will use John Mark and I through these investigation trips...

After SMAC, I headed back to the Maust house, where I chilled for a bit before going off to meet with Luis. Luis is one of the guys from the Sunday night Bible Study, and while I was a bit unexcited (is that a word? Spell check says it is) at the beginning, because he didn't talk too much on Sunday and didn't seem all that interested, God has a way of blessing me when I don't deserve it. He was the BEST! He is so eager to learn, and as a "teacher", that's what you want from your students. I look forward to hanging out with him much more in the future and watching him learn more and more English. We had a normal "conversation" for a bit, and then I had him read the Lord's prayer to me in English and helped him with pronunciation. He is going to practice at home, I'm sure... a new word I learned today (one of the many) is "predicar". This means to speak the Word of God, and that's one of his occupations right now. It should be all of ours! Predicar means to speak it literally, but we should be radiating Jesus in our actions, as well... let's DO it for God, folks!

John Mark and I then headed off to the University to help the teachers with their English, and while it was a much smaller group than this morning at SMAC, they were very eager to learn as well and asked good questions. We laughed a lot, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them, as well! Man... I am SO blessed by God here with all of these people that are eager to learn! Praise the Lord!!! A new phrase I learned from one of the teachers is "achachai", which means "it is cold". Eating the food from the Mexican restaurant "Órales" was next on our plate (haha... ok bad pun), and it was delicious. This is the best restaurant in Ecuador so far, for it serves burritos, tacos, tostadas, and totapatas (nacho-like chips). Oh, and refried beans. Oh yes. I had a good time with John Mark just hearing about his life growing up. Between Ben-Hur, the scavenger hunt, and this evening, the Lord is blessing us with many opportunities to grow closer! Praise Him...

On the bus en route to the Maust house, I saw a cross-eyed woman get on that I had seen previously. The Lord put it on my heart to pray for her, so John Mark and I did. I would appreciate it if all of you do, as well... I have no idea of her name, but God knows :-).

Please also pray for these kiddos from SMAC: Vanessa, Gessica (pronounced "Jessica"), Andrea, Cristina, Carmen, Carlos, Victor, Mayra, Christopher, Gabriel, Vinicio, Alvaro, Paola, Viviana, Angie, Israel, Alvaro, and Diego. Pray that the Lord is glorified through each and every one of their lives and that He uses me as He chooses. Also that I would be listening and truly follow through with what He puts on my heart to do... all for His greatest glory...

My schedule looks like this now: Mon-Wed mornings I'll be working at SMAC from 9-11 and then on Tuesday afternoons John Mark and I will be teaching the teachers from 3:30-5:30. Hanging with Paul and Luis will be strewn throughout those days. Thursday-Saturday will be investigations, with band practice on Saturday nights from 6-8. Church on Sunday, and the inevitable ballin' with Beckett and Jerman. I cannot WAIT! Also, Bible Studies on Sunday and Monday nights at 7, if we can find a place for Monday night (please keep that in prayer, as well).

As you may have deducted from the previous paragraph (you know, putting two and two together), I will not be able to update my blog until at least Saturday night, so I apologize in advance to both of my faithful readers. But I shall return (si Dios quiere) with pics and videos galore...

God has been very generous in encouraging me through people while here in Ecuador, and I want to just put it out there that He has especially used Briana Jain and Catherine Ong to bless my heart, so thanks for letting God use you, friends.

Never cease to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength (Luke 10:27), listening for His voice not only in the storms, earthquakes, and violent winds, but also in the gentle whispers... (1 Kings 19:11-12)