Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And so we continue...

Blogging for the sake of blogging... partly because I won't until Saturday night.

Oh, and mostly because God was VERY much a blessing to me. First of all I want to send a huge thank-you to Jennifer from Alabama, one of the people on the prayer walk team. She (out of the blue) came up to me and gave me an NIV Bible in English. She said she had brought it down here and prayed that the Lord would show her who to give it to. I don't know if I wrote this or not, but on Sunday night I lent my Bible to Patrick to borrow, and he accidentally took it home with him. I don't have a number or anything like that, and I didn't bring a second Bible down here, so I have felt naked these past few days. It's very interesting, too, because these past few days have been the days I could have used it most down here. But God is sovereign and knew that Jennifer had the Bible and was directing the whole situation like the Master conductor He is... praise Him.

Also, this morning I had a GREAT quiet time, because last night I copied a few Bible passages in English from the Internet. From 1 Peter 1:13-16:

13Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

We need to always be prepared for action. This comes from memorizing Scripture and "always being ready to give an answer to anyone who asks" (1 Peter 3:15). Memorizing Scripture will also help us when the Devil attacks us... we can combat his attacks with the Word of God. To "be self-controlled" is a very difficult thing, but in the Lord strength it is definitely possible. We're called to fully set our hope on Christ, also... the "grace to be given" by Christ... so we are not called to hope in ANYTHING else but Jesus... that's the only thing we need. That's the only thing that will never let us down for all eternity. Hope in Jesus. "As obedient children"... we're called to serve the Lord in the innocence and purity of a child. You know how little kids just believe everything their parents tell them, think they're the most amazing people in the entire world, and love them unconditionally, not seeing their faults? Well, God calls us to serve Him and love Him in that innocence and purity... to believe everything He says in His Word and to follow Him and seek to be EXACTLY like Him... just like we want to be like our parents.

And finally... not conforming to the evil desires of this world... we're called to be holy, just as God as holy. No ifs ands or buts. Be holy.

No comments: