Friday, June 6, 2008

On the high seas...

This morning I was reading in 1 Peter and found this verse to be encouraging:

1 Peter 1:1
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia,

"Strangers in the world" is what caught my attention. Jumping into a country on another continent, as some of you know, will give this verse a whole new meaning, as you get strange looks from people and stick out like a swollen thumb (as opposed to the typical sore). It doesn't help that I'm wearing the Australian hat given by my parents, but it's too cool not to wear, so I shall press on.

Anyway, on another level, this verse tells me that I need to be strange in this world. If I'm blending in with my peers, not trying to make a difference but maintain the status quo, then I'm not following God's instructions. We are to shine the light of Christ (Mathew 5:16) so that the people around us will notice a difference. Jesus says they'll "see (our) good deeds and praise our Father in Heaven." So that's another key point: we can't be different to attain praise for ourselves, but we must find the differences in this world that give glory to God. So here's another question for you to ask God: how can I be different in a way that will bring You (God), and You alone glory?

So now onto the travel stories: my day of travel was PHENOMENAL, only because God was AWESOME in it. I first noticed a college student sitting behind me on the flight from Dulles to Panama City mention that she was studying in Quito (the capital of Ecuador) for four weeks and then going to another city where she will serve in a hospital. This caught my attention, for it's not only the same duration that I'll be here, but in the same country. In Panama City I was privileged with getting to know Sarah a bit better, and it was a total blessing from the Lord to have a person of similar age and with a similar purpose (serving the Lord in Ecuador) to hang out with while traveling.

Divine appointment #2 came during the flight to Quito. I was sitting in an aisle seat with probably the only empty seat on the plane beside me and a sleepy Ecuadorian man in the window seat. During the flight, a woman began to have breathing problems, and the flight attendants spent most of the time attending to her. The young woman sitting beside her was more or less kicked out of her seat while they tried to attend to the sick woman, and then the gentlemanly lessons taught by my parents (especially Mom) kicked in and I offered her the empty seat, which she gratefully accepted. The rest of the flight was spent getting to know Kristiana, as I learned she has a similar passion after God and serving Him through missions and discipleship. Praise God for the blessing of fellowship on a flight from Latin to South America! He does work in mysterious ways...

Sarah, Kristiana, another Sarah (Kristiana's friend that is also serving here in Ecuador) all hung out through immigration. And while this is all blessing enough, the Lord allowed my college roommate and close friend, Kyle, to meet me at the airport! Kyle, his girlfriend Christie, John Mark (my friend that I will be serving alongside here in Ecuador) and I all ate lunch together and I had a wonderful time catching up with Kyle and Christie while getting to finally hanging out with John Mark in person. As John Mark described it, 'twas a funny sight seeing me walk out of baggage claim being flanked by three attractive ladies. So I finally understand what my brother, Hunter, feels like all the time! To all who read this, please keep the ministries and studies of Sarah squared, Kristiana, and Christie in your prayers, and Kyle as he travels home tomorrow.

After lunch, John Mark and I took the bus to Riobamba (4 hours) for $3.50 a piece and I met the entire Maust family. I look forward to continuing to get to know each and every one of them in these next 9 weeks and blessing them as the Lord allows me! I also met Sebastian, a young man that lives at the house I'm staying, and his friends: Gabriel and Israel. At sixteen, sixteen, and fifteen, they were all smoking up a storm and drinking "cerveza", or beer. I politely declined when they offered some to me, and had a good time talking with them for about 20 minutes. Please keep them all in your prayers as well, and pray that the Lord will allow me opportunities to share the Gospel with them (and the courage and strength to do it).

Ok... those are enough details of my day of travel. Needless to say, the Lord was sovereign in my day and blessed me with a fantastic day! All glory be to His beautiful name...

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a fabulous story of God's glory and grace being revealed to you and through you all day long!
We miss you here in Virginia, but we are so excited to hear about your life in Ecuador. Love you!