Saturday, July 5, 2008

Quito

I encourage you to take this blog in parts... if you read all of it at one time, it could be potentially hazardous to your health (staring at the computer screen for too long).

I guess we need to start on Wednesday night, after I left the Maust house... I headed on over to the Coupe's house (ran, actually) because the South American Soccer Championship was happening. I had postponed watching it for a while and made it at the very end of the game. The aggregate score (the combined for the two championship games) was 5-5 at the end of regulation, so they began OT right as I arrived. Liga (Quito, Ecuador) vs. Fluminenses (Rio de Jainero, Brazil)- this is the equivalent of the Champions League for all of South America. Ecuador vs. Brazil. A BIG Deal...

OTs were somewhat boring because everyone was cramping and tired. So we went to Penalty Kicks... during the penalty kicks, the Liga goalie, Cevallos, blocked THREE of the PKs! THREE! And I had just made a comment before the penalty kicks: "I wonder if any goalie has ever blocked three or more PKs... that would probably be a first in history." It's very difficult to block those shots, but Fluminenses kicked some youth league worthy penalty kicks and Cevallos easily blocked most of them. It was SO exciting... LI-LI-LI GA-GA-GA Universitaria!

Thursday morning was an early departure from the Maust House (after a few false starts- forgetting things, etc). We began driving to Quito with me in the back seat, alone. I very much appreciated my time with Jesus in the back of the car... it consisted of praying especially for each of my immediate family members, reading the Word, and reading Mere Christianity (for some reason, I can't seem to find how to underline words on blogspot. Hence the non-underlined title of CS Lewis' book).

A believer put in jail once commented that he was overjoyed, for he now had nothing to distract him from praying and studying the Bible 24/7 (if anyone can help me remember who said this, please let me know). I looked at riding in the back of the truck as this kind of opportunity! Many things to read, pray about, and study... all for God's greatest glory. And no distractions! Praise Him...

Once in Quito, John Mark was kind enough to help me find my way around. We made it to the bus station (after a short lunch that included watching news coverage of the French-Columbian's rescue! Praise God!) and waited for Sarah and Spenser. You may recall Sarah from my first blog (she and I flew on the same flights to Quito and she's been studying here. Spenser just joined her a few weeks ago), and she and her friend were making the journey to my 'hood, Riobamba. I was hoping to help them by giving them a map, etc, so JM and I had a blast using the artistic skills God decided not to bless us with to draw a map of the surrounding areas of my house. If I could scan it into the computer, I would show you this masterpiece, but I cannot...

After a successful, two minute meeting with them, JM and I took a taxi across Quito to the missionary guest house. We went to the wrong building first, and when we met the host, he didn't seem to remember that I was coming. Oh boy... we got him up from a nap, so he was a bit groggy.... upon settling into my room (ie dropping stuff off), we departed for "Plaza de Las Americas" a few blocks up the road. Once inside, JM departed and I bought tickets to the "14:55" showing of Kung Fu Panda and the "17:00" showing of Get Smart (Super Agente Eighty-Six). I settled in to the theater to watch the first movie and only about 8 other people came to watch it. At the end of the movie, I discovered why only eight other people were there.

I was not a big fan of Kung Fu Panda. It had it's funny parts, but overall I was disappointed. Also, I do not recommend going to two movies in a row alone (although I had my basketball to keep me company). After being somewhat disappointed at the first one, I had to wait 20 minutes for the second movie when all I really wanted to do was leave. I'm glad I didn't.

I really enjoyed Get Smart! My family loves the old show (with Don Adams) and I feel that this movie was able to incorporate a lot of humor that appeals to today's generation while also keeping enough of the old show for the faithful to appreciate. It was very, very good. You should go see it in the theater... it is worth it.

After Get Smart, I had dinner at the "Sports Bar Restaurant" and devoured a DELICIOUS BBQ Burger. This burger came with bacon, cheese, and chicken strips on the burger! It was sooooo good! And then I noticed three different choices of McDonald's: McDonald's dessert bar, coffee shop (McCafe) and a regular McDonald's. I bought a McFlurry from the first but was truly disappointed when she didn't mix my oreo bits in with the ice cream. Oh well...

Leaving the "Plaza", I noticed a crowd forming on the overpass of the freeway. I asked a security guard what was happening, and he told me that Liga was passing with the trophy on a victory tour! It was stoked, knowing that this kind of opportunity doesn't present itself everyday, so I waited. I talked with the family beside me for a bit while we waited and received updates on how far away the group was... after 45+ minutes in the cold, they finally passed, and it was phenomenal. There were hundreds of people running in front of the bus (on the freeway- stopping traffic), not to mention nearly every car passed with the same honking cheer. Also, the waiting crowd had many cheers that were shouted well before the team arrived. It was just a fantastic atmosphere... pics/video to come (Lord willing)...

I walked back to the guest house, had a nice conversation with a missionary family playing "Mad Gab", and went outside to play basketball under the impression that I had the keys to unlock the door once I was finished. I was wrong. So yes, ladies and gentlemen, I was once again locked outside of a building. I began politely knocking, refusing to ring the doorbell (it was too late for that), but ended up straight pounding on the door. After 15 minutes or so, a young gentlemen getting a drink of water opened the door for me (thanks, God).

The next morning I woke up 30 minutes late for breakfast, showered, packed up, and then had the privilege of talking with my sister Elise in England for a few minutes! It was great to see her because I really miss her and Abby (whom I talked with on Wednesday night for 10 minutes!)... when I was finished with that conversation, I looked around for someone to pay for my night. I only had a $20, the night cost $15, and I needed the change to get a taxi. But there was NO ONE in the house. In the beginning I just ran around looking for somebody, and when I couldn't find anyone I started just shouting "Hello" and "Hola". After no less than 30 minutes the maid showed up, we scrounged together some change, and I left.

You would think my Quito adventures were done, but that was not true. After catching a taxi to "Quicentro" and buying a half-dozen Dunkin Donuts (hey- we can't get them in Riobamba, and I only ate 4), I was broke and needed an ATM. If you have been following this blog closely, you know that I have problems with my Travel Debit Card, especially at Banco de Pichincha. So I walked the length of the mall to find an ATM and, of course, it was a Pichincha ATM. I walked back the length of the mall to another ATM to find that that machine did not accept VISA. Eventually I was able to use my other debit card, but I just laugh at how much trouble I had finding things in Quito. It's one of the Lord's ways of teaching me patience...

The taxi drive to the bus terminal from the mall was an interesting one. After haggling the driver to the correct price, I felt the Holy Spirit tugging on my heart to share my faith in Spanish. I began asking him about his family, the church he attends, and a few other questions, but could see that he wasn't feeling the conversation. I refrained from pressing anything on him, and this is a great example of something I've been learning in 1 Peter (scroll down or just be patient until the end).

The bus drive home was long and not too fruitful. I just sat, read some, watched "Black Dog" with Patrick Swayze in Spanish, and bought a water. Upon my arrival in Riobamba, I found Sarah and Spenser in the park in front of my house! Praise God, they had connected with the Coupes, been able to access my apartment, and had a good day riding the train! We rushed off to my friend Paul's play. His junior high put on a very low-budget and condensed production of "West Side Story" in English. Put it this way: there were only six scenes, half the time you couldn't understand the English being spoken, there was a limited number of microphones (this made for interesting volume levels), and the acting was worse than Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in "Star Wars Episodes II and III". Yes, it was that bad. But Paul did a great job! His shooting scene at the end (he was Chino) was epic...

We took the bus back to the Coupes, had a delightful spaghetti dinner, sat around and talked for a bit, and I finished the night by playing "Bloons Player Pack 4" with Hunter while talking via Skype. This is one of the many reasons why I love my brother... we can compete and help each other in computer games, talk sparingly via skype and enjoy every moment.

This morning included another lovely conversation with my friend Cat from Australia (another chance to encourage and be encouraged) and a great breakfast with the Coupe crew and Sarah and Spenser. I have had the privilege of staying the weekend at the Coupe's house while Sarah and Spenser stay in my place... so thank You, Lord, for blessing me with such great friends a block and a half away! May You bless them ten-fold...

Mr. Bill and I left to help get ready for the party this afternoon under the impression that we'd be making a quick trip. Not quite... our "short" trip took nearly 3 hours and included a lot of waiting around. We returned, grabbed a bite to eat, and then chilled at the house until 5 when we all departed for the Independence Day and Canada Day combined extravaganza! We scarfed down some freshly cooked burgers and hot dogs (although some of the hot dogs we later discovered had plastic wrap on them that you were supposed to take off before cooking. Ooops) and then prepared for volleyball. Sarah, Spenser, and I were on the same team and fell in the first match 21-16 or so. The second match was up and down, back and forth, and the light became dimmer and dimmer so that it was difficult to see the ball. We had leads of 8-0 and 17-11 only to find ourselves down 20-17 due to the darkness. The competitive side of me was revving, as I hardly touched the ball when the other team made their comeback. When they served for the game-point, Tony, Sarah, and I put our efforts together to get the ball back over the net and win serve. You would have thought we had just won the club national championship for volleyball we were so excited. I served out the rest of the game and we captured victory... it was sweet.

The fireworks show was great, as well! They did a fantastic job of collecting and firing the fireworks... they were so loud that half of them triggered car alarms. It was quite humorous...

After a cramped ride in the back of the truck with the grill, chairs, the gas tank, and Sarah (and some good conversation), we hung out here at the house for a bit, I had a wonderful conversation with my Mom, and now I'm finishing this forever long blog.

Now to 1 Peter!!!!!

3:8 gives some simple, yet very difficult to follow instructions on how to live. Verse 9 reads: "Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing." This says to me that we're to honor the Lord in our actions (not repaying evil with evil) and our words (insult with insult). I really appreciate how the Bible addresses these two areas especially. It doesn't just say one or the other, but BOTH, so that the reader who desires to learn and seek the Lord may see precisely how we're to honor the Lord. Also, verse 11: "He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it." We cannot fall into the trap of thinking that by refraining from doing evil, we succeed in the Christian life. We're not called to just refrain from doing evil, but to "do good"! We CAN NOT take pride in what we don't do, but must DO great things for God in humility... "to this you were called"...

And then in verse 15 it says, "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." In the example of the taxi driver, he wasn't feeling the conversation, so I am called to (in that situation) honor the Lord by being gentle and respectful. If he does not wish to hear it, I cannot force-feed it to him. Before I'd always read this verse and thought "I need to be memorizing more Scripture so I'll be ready!" But now I see there's more to it- we need to be prepared to answer everyone who ASKS you to give the reason... not just anyone that we want to. There are times when sharing my faith, if gone about the wrong way, can be a hindrance more than a help. We need to be listening to the Holy Spirit's leading, and if He tells us to refrain, we MUST follow Him... I believe that in gentleness and respect means not just treating everyone the same but being sensitive to their needs and respecting them if they ask you not to share any more. Also, not just jumping into conversation but easing into the Jesus-talk and sharing about faith...

This is a ridiculous amount of writing. Now I'm here... I love you SO much, God. You ARE THE BEST!!!!

In His strength alone...

Luke

No comments: