Saturday, July 12, 2008

Caution

Much to write... not much time to write it! I apologize to my loyal readers... I have been bad at updating lately.

Wednesday consisted of SMAC in the morning, English with Wong during lunch, then spending a good amount of time just hanging out at my place and reading... John Mark just returned home from his fantastic retreat and we were supposed to teach at UNACH, but I got a call saying that we wouldn't be needed that day. So I ended up going over to the Maust house (occupied only by JM) for a bit before heading off to TKD. At Tae-Kwon-Do I continued to discover how inflexible I am but also had a blast learning some defense positions! I'm sorry I have to miss it Thursday and Friday! After the lesson, which ran REALLY late (I was supposed to meet JM at Orale around 6ish... class didn't end until 6:45), I jogged 10 blocks or so to the restaurant... if people in Riobamba didn't think I was crazy already for almost always dribbling a basketball, now they got to see me sprinting through town. After some brownie and ice cream at the Coupes (who I also ran into at KFC with Wong earlier), JM and I headed back to his place to chill for a bit. I talked with Abby on the phone, a blessing like always, then a bit of chatting with friends, watched 2 episodes of "The Office", and hit the hay.

Thursday began with another great QT in 1 Peter (scroll down for details), packing lunch, and meeting JM at his place. We took a while getting ready for the trip, checking e-mail, etc, and finally left for downtown so I could get some money and fruit for the trip. God really stretched my faith by challenging me on a few things that morning... good stuff. 1 Peter 4:7-11... check it out!

We got on a bus to Palmira, spent a bit of time there eating and then investigating, and headed off to Tíxan. In Tíxan, we hit a dead time (siesta: 1-3 PM) and so no one was really around. Seeing a sweet playground right in front of me, I made sure the free time was put to good use (see the second video below). We had a pretty lazy day overall, but in Alausi met a pretty cool guy, an author and historian, and JM had a blast talking to him about many different subjects (I followed most of the time... but was uninterested at other parts so didn't really understand it). We grabbed a bite at a "Chifa" (Chinese) restaurant and took a truck-taxi to Sibambe. Once there we set up camp, journaled and read, and called it a night.

On the morn of Friday I had more fun on a plaground and then we went through town to find some breakfast and also catch the bus. The theme of this day was patience/waiting. While waiting for the first bus, the Holy Spirit stirred in my heart and I talked to a woman who was also waiting for a ride about Evangelic Christianity vs. Catholicism. We talked about Mary's virginity, personal relationships with Jesus and other things. Please keep her in prayer... I didn't get her name. We rode the bus to Huigra and had some fun with the children of the city. We talked to a few people about the details and then set out in pursuit of the pastor of one of the Evangelical churches. After being led around town for a bit, we found him and had a great conversation with him about his ministry and the church's history. The Holy Spirit again stirred in my heart and we prayed in Spanish for his ministry... this is something God is constantly teaching me, to follow through with His commands (stirrings on my heart). We took a taxi up and down and side-to-side until we arrived at Chunchi. There we had an overpriced lunch and some dessert and caught the overpriced bus to the next town, Capsol. In Capsol was a prejudiced dog (he only barked at Gringos) and about 200 people. Not a whole lot, but they had some very realistic needs and it was good that we went there. Then began the mega waiting... we thought that because it was the main highway there would be many buses passing, but it took us an hour and a half to finally catch a bus to our destination. On the way traffic stopped dead due to road work. Great... people literally got out of the bus and walked around. When we finally arrived at Gonzol (we were more or less tossed out of the bus as it passed), we were in a cloud! It was soooooo cool. Just white pretty much all around you... visibility not too great. You couldn't see more than 100 feet in front of you... We talked to some kiddos about the town and then walked back to the road in the darkness. John Mark was not hugely in favor of the idea, but I really wanted to get home Friday night because we didn't have a whole lot more to do (one more city) and I was hoping to play some sports on Saturday morning (the best time to do it). John Mark was kind enough to go along with the plan. We waited at the road... and waited... and waited. Except this time it was cold, foggy, and not many cars passed (at the early hour of 8 PM). We had a good number of people slow down and then decide that they didn't want to take us. Again... God was teaching us patience. After four buses crossed going the opposite way, we caught a bus going back to Riobamba (it was a little late to go to Guasuntos, so we hope to hit it some other time). One cheesy Wesley Snipes movie and a lot of sleep later, we got back.

Saturday morning was another sweet Quiet Time and some video editing (see below. Please). I went to the high school to play basketball later than I would have liked to, but still put in a decent game. I was able to share my faith through explaining that I don't drink because "mi cuerpo es un templo para Jesus" (my body is a temple for Jesus). They seemed receptive to what I was saying and I hope to interact with them more in the future! Please pray for Venicio, Christopher, Ivan, Andy and Marcus. After basketball I walked through town on my way to buy fruit and was stopped by some Ecuadorians wanting to film me for a school project. I agreed and had a hilarious time answering their English questions (and making up some answers, such as "what is your cell phone number"- totally made up some number). I continued, picked some stuff up at Akí, and met my friend Andrea! It was good to see her, as I hadn't for a while, and we walked and bought "bastante" (much, a lot) fruit at the market San Alfonzo. I don't know how I'll eat it all... but we'll see. We went back to her house and I had a great time reconnecting with her family! It was very encouraging as both she and her Mom said my Spanish has improved a lot... all glory to God! After that, I dropped stuff off at my house and took the Maust family out to dinner (with the money you supporters gave! Thanks!). We went to "Fogón Sport", I got another BBQ burger (although not as good as the one in Quito), got ice cream downstairs afterwards, and headed back to Riobamba Norte. I walked to the Coupe's next and had a good, encouraging conversation with my parents and brother. It was much needed... I finished the night playing "Bloons" with Hunter until a late hour in the night. Somewhere during Saturday or Wednesday, I forget, I finished watching "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring". Such a good movie...

Today I rose, had another blessed 1 Peter QT, and suited up to play basketball. Yes, on a Sunday morning. I made the decision to witness to the guys on the court instead of going to church, and the Lord blessed my time. I sought to be a witness... but it was very difficult. To put it simply, Ecuadorian basketball is much different than American. They call fouls differently (ie all the time) and whine a lot more. Playing basketball my college gym is totally different, and it was very frustrating at times. I pray that the Lord still shone through my play, though I know I could have done better. I ended up having a great conversation with Milton and Alexeis at the end of the games. We talked about Catholicism vs. Evangelic Christianity, about the virgin Mary, about faith and many other great things. Please keep them both in prayer as I hope to be talking with them more soon! After the wonderful conversation, I headed off to the stadium to watch "Olmedo", the 10th place team in Liga's division, play. They are the Riobamba team, and they're not that great. I found that out in person today. But it was fun nonetheless... I sat with the Coupe's and rode home with them. After lunch, I talked with Hunter and Dad for a while and played more Bloons. Oi. A good "pep talk" from the Coupes (a needed encouragement), a wonderful conversation with Elise (and her reaction to the second video) and her friend, and some dinner at my house later, we had Bible Study at the church. Ten people came! It was great... please continue to pray for Maria Isabella, her daughter, Celiano, Julie (new), Jackie, Evelyn, her friend (I forgot her name), Efrain, Myriam, and Jhon (new to the study) in prayer. We learned about how Jesus came and freed us from the legalism of this world but we're still called to look to things above for direction (ie follow Jesus' commands). The students learned a lot, praise God!! What a blessing... I finished the night talking with my friend Cat from Australia for a good while. It was a phenomenally blessed conversation as we were able to share what God has been teaching us and just get so EXCITED about Jesus together as brother and sister in Christ! Thank You, Jesus, for blessing me with such a great friend... everyone reading this, please continue to pray that the light of Christ shines through her to everyone around her...

Now some of the stuff I'm learning... wow. God is SO amazing.

1 Peter 4:8-9
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another with out grumbling." One of the things that sticks out to me about both of these verses is the use of "each other" and "one another". The Bible gives no conditions as to who you should and shouldn't love or be hospitable to. I was having a bit of a tough time with both these past few days, but the Lord really has taught me that we can't be selective about who we want to be hospitable to. It doesn't say "Offer hospitality to the less fortunate with out grumbling" or "to the poor" but to "one another". This means EVERYONE. If Bill Gates were to walk through your door, although you know he has plenty of money and funds to support himself (ie get a hotel, buy dinner for the state of Virginia that night, etc), you're still called to be hospitable to him. There are no conditions...

1 Peter 4:11
"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."
I just love this verse... we're called to speak as people "speaking the very words of God" to each other. How many of us are really doing that? When we serve, we must do it in His strength... honestly I don't know how I could do it any other way. All of this so that GOD may receive all the glory in our lives. So that we cannot take any credit for anything we speak or do. All the glory to God!

1 Peter 4:16
"However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." Jesus suffered here on earth and had insults yelled at Him, so if they treat us as they did Jesus, we should rejoice! For they MUST see some faint resemblance in our "clouded mirror" of the glorious Son of God! We are mirrors, seeking to reflect Jesus to the world, but our sin clouds the mirror, like the bathroom mirror right after a hot shower. But if the people around us are treating us like they treated Him, they must see some semblance of Him in our lives. This should cause an outpouring of thanks to God, not grumbling and complaining! For it is a sign that we are on the right track with 1 John 2:6! Praise God!

1 Peter 5:2...-3
"Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers... not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." This Peter writes to the elders, but I see application for everyone. When we want to encourage/convict a brother or sister, we are not called to "lord it over" them, which would entail trying to show how right you are and wrong they are, but to be an example to them. Unless we have earned the right, through much encouragement and love, to let the Lord convict them through us, we are called to be an example (and even if they are convicted through us, we still need to be an example to them).

And while I was flipping through the Scriptures I came across this verse that blew me away:

Luke 17:10
"So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants, we have only done our duty.' " WOW! This is Jesus talking, and He tells us that even when we've done EVERYTHING we were told to do (which we'll never do- successfully following through with every command Jesus gave), we're still called to say we're unworthy servants, only doing our duty. The whole idea of going "above and beyond" is totally man-made... Jesus called us to "be perfect, therefore, just as your heavenly Father is perfect." So we can never go above and beyond his goals for us. Yes, we can praise and worship God through obeying His commands, but we should never feel like we're doing God a favor or we're really doing something "extra special" for Him and expect something in return. Jesus says that even when we've accomplished EVERYTHING he told us to do, we're still to take on the attitude of an unworthy servant, only doing his duty. The example He gives just previous to this verse is of a servant that prepared dinner for his master when the master asked him. Jesus says (verse 9): "Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do?" NO! The Master provides the food and the servant's housing, food, etc, and the servant is just doing his job well. So why should we expect a pat on the back from God or a reward for doing our duty?! Jesus says no...

This was really eye opening and humbling for me... even when we do something really great for God, we are still just doing our duty. We should never take a proud outlook and think WE did something really sweet, for God provided the strength, wisdom, discernment, etc. All we did was do our duty, which we fail at so often. Our "above and beyond" is still miles away from the effort Jesus desires from us day in and day out. So next time you think God owes you something or that you went "above and beyond" in serving Him, remember that that's impossible. There is no above and beyond, just servants of the Most Amazing King in the world doing their duty.

Jesus... I am so humbled by Your teaching and just everything written in Your Word. Thank You for Your grace in revealing these truths to me... may I apply them to my life, and the same for anyone who reads this... may we glorify You in every facet of our life, giving 120% of our effort to "Be perfect... just as (our) heavenly Father is perfect." I am left speechless at how Wondrous You are... I love you.

In His strength alone...

Luke


The beautiful landscape on the ride to Huigra from Sipambe.

Two young caballeros (gentlemen) from Huigra.

I wish we had these in the United States. Too many people would sue, though, for stupid injuries. And this is why Ecuador's playgrounds > United State's playgrounds.

A few niñas in Alausi.

This boy, named "Michael", was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. "Hola..."



Captain's Log, part 3. Enjoy.



If you are pregnant, have a heart condition, or are prone to faint at the sight of disgusting things, you probably shouldn't watch this video. On a side note, I promise that my parents raised me up correctly and fed me well...

1 comment:

Beth and Luke said...

Put that little boy in the orange shirt in your bag and bring him home! Too cute!! :)