Sunday, April 22, 2012

Religion:

I'm a bit frustrated right now.

I live in an apartment complex set in a fantastic location, with wonderful neighbors and a beautiful community. But I am frustrated because many of them are living a mostly Jesus-less life. To the best that I can see, they are missing out on the joy that I feel when I think about Him, the awe that I have when I read what He said in response to the Pharisees time and time again, and the comfort and peace that I find in the most difficult of times. Forget about heaven/hell, future atonement, etc., for a minute... they are missing out on Jesus right now.

This has become a very used (and probably abused) phrase in Christian circles over the last decade, but Jesus has been boxed into a religion. Carl Medearis says it well- Christians 'claim' Jesus as theirs and can't fathom anyone else knowing who He is or following Him... regardless of the fact that Jesus Himself never claimed to be a Christian nor called people to Christianity (but merely to follow Him and learn from Him).

I'm frustrated because most people treat 'religion' like it's described on applications. For instance, when I was recently filling out a Visa Application for going overseas, it asked what religion I am. This came right after asking how old I am and to whom I was born. In the same way that people don't think about how old they are on a daily basis, people don't think about who Jesus is on a daily basis. In the same way that people say, "oh, I am 14 years old, so I should be going to school M-F in 8th or 9th grade", they think, "since I am a Christian, I must go to church on Sundays and Wed. nights", or "since I am a Muslim, I must go to the mosque on Fridays." They treat their religion like it's found on an application: as a demographic.

Tens of millions watched Jefferson Goethke's video, "Why I hate religion, but love Jesus" and tweeted it, posted it on facebook, and blogged about it. I'm pumped that Jeff is seeking to glorify God by using the gift he's been given! I haven't had the pleasure of chatting with him, but from what I can see, it looks like he treasures Jesus. But what about the tens of millions of others that watched it and reposted it? My guess is that many were trying to say publicly, "I belong to this demographic!"... without enjoying Jesus themselves. No disrespect to Jeff, but how many people do you think watched that video and fell more in love with Jesus vs. how many people watched that video and said (probably subconsciously), 'yeah, that's a great way to put it. I agree with that! Let me tell all of my friends and acquaintances that I agree with that!' I don't know that this is what happened, but my guess is that if it is, Jeff would rather the video had not been made. He wants people to know and love Jesus.

When I was in East Africa last April, I was repeatedly asked the question, "Are you Christian?" I wasn't 100% sure how to respond. Were they asking, "Are you a part of that group that tried to exterminate all non-Christians back in the 11th-13th centuries?" No, I don't agree with that at all. Were they asking, "Are you a part of the group who tries to go places where there aren't 'Christians' and change Muslims, Hindus, and Jews to become Christians, taking them out of their culture and making them more Western?" No... I don't try to do that, either. I'm just a guy in love with Jesus that wants other people to get to know and love Jesus, as well... He's that wonderful to me! It's not for my sake or for the sake of a group/demographic... but because I love Him that much.

I admit that I fall into this trap at times, as well, living like all that being a follower of Jesus means is a demographic. I ask frequently that God would reveal Himself to me more and more each day... because I am desperately in love with what I know of Him.

Please don't read this thinking, "yeah, I agree with that!" and leave it there. I'm scared that the few people that read this will respond in the same way they watch a youtube video or read a book- recommending it without falling more in love with Jesus. Leave this blog and think more about who Jesus is to you and how you can learn to treasure Him more. I'm still chewing on Matthew 12:9-21... great stuff.

This is not a "I hate religion" post, but a "I love Jesus" post.

Jesus. That is all.




No comments: