Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holiness

Reading the Word the other day, I began to ponder what it means to be "holy". My favorite passage on the subject is 1 Peter 1, especially verses 13-16:
"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.'"
Growing up, the word holy was tossed around a lot in my vocabulary- specifically "Holy Cow". The word "cow" was often substituted for whatever word was popular around that time, including words such as "cheese" and "schniekies". I remember briefly discussing with either my parents or a Sunday School teacher how cows/cheese/etc. weren't necessarily "holy", but that didn't stop my usage of the word. It did seem a tad bit odd that I would say "holy cow" and then each Sunday/Wed. night would sing "Holy is the Lord!" The two didn't seem to compare but, again, it didn't really matter to me too much.

According to an OT Word Study, 'The words "holy" or "sanctify" are often interpreted to mean "righteous" or "pure" or something similar. But the basic concept of the word qadosh and its related words is that of "apartness" or "distinction." (www.christianleadershipcenter.org) Strong's Concordance defines "holy" and the Hebrew word qadosh as "set apart". As Peter writes in his epistle, God is holy- perfectly holy, at that. There is nothing unholy about Him. This is why the four living creatures in Revelation are flying around singing "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty..." (Rev. 4:8) Get used to the word "holy"- it appears that we'll be singing it for a long time. So as I pondered the word "holy" and it's meaning, the analogy of basketball shoes came to mind.

My basketball shoes might not be top-of-the-line, but I try to treat them like they are. I have literally "set" them "apart" from my other shoes, because I want them to last as long as possible. My ballin' shoes are used exclusively for playing basketball, and only on indoor surfaces (preferably hardwood). I don't use them to walk around, to play soccer, football, frisbee, or play in the rain. Why not? Because that's not what they were made for. They function best when they are doing what they were created to do.

We need to treat ourselves like basketball shoes. God created us to be holy, we screwed it up, but through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ (according to the Father's will, for His glory), we are called again to be "holy", just as He is holy. This command is found throughout the Bible- including Leviticus 11:44, in 1 Peter 1:16.

You may have heard the word "sanctification" used before- it means "to be made holy", and this is the process of the Spirit working in our lives to make us more like Christ. But if it's something the Spirit needs to do inside of us, why does Peter say "Be holy"? Because we've been given a choice to follow Christ (or not to). Many times I, myself, fail mightily in this area, choosing the worldly, temporary pleasures over the eternal Treasure I've been given.

Going back to my childhood, I remember quoting the made-up verse "Be in the world, but not of the world" (it's actually a combination of John 17:11 and 16), and using this "verse" to justify my ventures into worldliness. "It's a great way to witness!" I would tell myself, thinking it necessary to know (experience) the world in order to be a great witness. But in growing in my understanding of the word "holy" and our calling to be holy, as our Father in Heaven is, I see that it means being distinct from the world. Set apart from worldly pleasures, etc.

2 Timothy 2:20-22: "Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."

Recognize- we're called to "cleanse" ourselves from the worldly things, not immerse ourselves in them. Does this mean we should go all 'legalistic' and abstain from everything the world throws at us? Not necessarily. But don't call someone legalistic when they seek to abstain from the world (be it wine/alcohol, certain movies, TV shows, etc) out of love for God and a desire to honor Him.

I encourage you to take a minute or two and prayerfully consider this question: am I setting myself apart as "holy" unto the Lord- distinct from the world? And even moreso, am I setting myself apart not just from things, but from a worldly mindset when it comes to approaching all aspects of life?

This is not an easy process- sanctification. Looking a little earlier in 1 Peter 1 (it's really a gem of a chapter), you'll see Peter write about the testing of faith being like "gold being refined by fire" (v. 7). It's painful! But glorious- not for us, but for Jesus Christ.

Simple encouragements for pursuing holiness: make Jesus THE priority of your life. Not a priority. Not the top priority. But THE priority. When you do this, you will see the rest of life through His eyes and He will receive all the glory. Romans 12:1-2 and verses 13-15 are great starting places for pursuing holiness. Don't conform to the patterns of the world, but be transformed by Christ. Is it really such a bad thing to be seen as "different" by people of the world? Isn't that what we're called to be (1 Peter 2:11-12)?

Be the basketball shoes. Pursue holiness for the glory of God. Worship Him for His holiness in all you do.

In His love...
Luke

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good word Luke! This goes so perfectly with what I've been learning these past three and a half months. We as Christians have been called up to something higher!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Although, sometimes I think we try to determine what is holy and what is not by the "Christian" status quo. For example, we wouldn't consider marry a prostitute holy, but that's exactly what God called Hosea to do. There's also the example of Abraham and his call to kill his son on the altar to demonstrate his obedience. Sometimes I think it's less about abstaining from things, and more about the mindset. Jesus is the greatest example of this: working on the Sabbath, challenging Roman rule, etc. As Adam Hamilton put it, "Jesus consistently put people before rules." I think Christian's have decided what is Holy and what is forbidden. This is not to say we should do what we want because we are sanctified through Christ, but I truly believe that Holiness is, above all else, an attitude.

JAMM said...

hey luke it's libbie, you had some really good info on this subject and i really liked it. quick question do you know how I can follow you on this blog? love ya and have a good day.

-libbie-

JAMM said...

Luke, loved this writing! Libbie and I read it for devo this morning. Good reminders!!! Like the analogies! Love you, Aunt Kelly